An actuary by profession, economist by education and entrepreneur by inclination, Humayun Akhtar belongs to the breed of politicians that came to the fore when a spirited democracy faced challenges of political compromise, institution-building and modernization. Having been elected in four national assemblies, Humayun is counted among Pakistan’s most progressive politicians. In addition to being considered for the country’s premiership, his crowning achievements have been introducing a new investment policy as Minister of State for Investment and achieving record trade numbers later as Pakistan’s Federal Minister for Commerce. He has been elected as a member of the National Assembly fourconsecutive times between 1990–2007, having served as Federal Ministerfor Trade and Commerce from 2002–2007 and as Chairman Board ofInvestment from 1997–1999.
Humayun Akhtar Khan’s father was the late General Akhtar Abdur Rahman Khan, the Director General of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence in the 1980s and among the most crucial figures of the Afghan jihad campaign in the days of the Soviet invasion. After his father’s sudden demise in the infamous plane crash carrying General Zia and his top leadership on August 17, 1988, Humayun decided to return to Pakistan and enter politics. His three brothers followed suit and started businesses in Pakistan.
- Primary Education – Burnhall, Abbottabad, Pakistan
- Secondary Education – Saint Mary’s Academy, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
- Bachelor of Science, Government College, Lahore
- Masters in Actuarial Science & Business Administration University of Manitoba, Canada, Class of 1977
- Fellow of U.S. Society of Actuaries since 1980
- Fellow of Canadian Society of Actuaries since 1981
Note: Fellowship is the highest achievable educational qualification in the actuarial profession. A fellowship in this profession is considered the equivalent of a PhD in finance-related subjects. Actuaries are highly trained professionals in the areas of investment, risk calculations, economics, and marketing and finance.
An experience of thirteen years working in senior executive positions at leading multinational corporations and financial/investment firms in Canada.
- 1983 – 1988 Worked as Consulting Actuary for SOBECO Group, actuarial and business consultants in Toronto, Canada
- 1981 – 1983 Worked as Consulting Actuary for Tomenson Alexandar Associates, actuarial and business consultants in Toronto, Canada
- 1977 – 1981 Worked as an Actuary at North American Life Insurance Company in Toronto, Canada
- Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (2018-Present)
- Alliance with PML-N (2012-2013)
- Prime Ministerial Candidacy (2002-2004)
- Formation of PML-Q (1999-2002)